February 28, 2011

Before the Nuclear Meltdown

Typical Steelhead Alley weather - warm weather melts all of the snow away and then BAM almost a foot of snow. Then the weather honks call a flood warning as rain and another warm spell will blow the rivers out. Many steelheaders heeded that warning and hit the rivers in earnest. During the weekday, I fished the home river like a chipmunk gathering nuts for the upcoming winter. I raced from spot to spot, feverishly trying to catch fish.

After the ice out, many were still frustrated with the lack of fish. That was true during the weekend as the 90% posted a shutout and the 10% kept their mouth shut. For Sunday, the day started off on a bad note as I "ahem" slept in and I was called out for being a dog - heh heh. I decided to drive out east to the Grand and the first stop, one of my favorite spots had been posted. The huge in your face sign said no hunting or fishing. I was puzzled, because I knew it was never posted in the past. My heart sank and many others probably had the same feeling. However, there was a ton of snow piled along the road so I continued to drive on the next spot. I drove by and there were 12 cars parked along the road and I didn't bother to stop. The next place I didn't see any cars and the lot wasn't plowed, but the snow didn't look that deep. I knew my Cherokee aka the silver bullet could handle it. I drove in and it was oh shit, the snow was pretty deep. I thought the bullet might of bit off more than it can chew. To make a long story short, it was a battle of attrition to get out as passing motorists looked at me and thought - retard. But I managed to get out, much to my relief. The Grand was a tad high and I didn't want to fish one spot so I headed to plan B.

I hit the Chagrin and it turned out to be an egg in my face. The water looked had that nice chalky color, but I couldn't coax any fish to come and play. I mutter that Bubba put the hex on me for sleeping in as he ran smack all afternoon about catching fish in the morning. Not to worry, I'm having a voodoo doll made that resembles him.




No comments: