December 7, 2008

Time To Hibernate

Cold weather sucks and slush is even worse, especially when it happens on the weekend. We got a Christmas greeting from Alberta in a form of another clipper. I knew that weekend was going to be tough as slush was going to be 100% certain. The rivers were hovering above 32F and anything in the 20s would turn them into slurpy machines. Once in a while, it's great sleeping in pass 9:00A.M, I awoke and looked down at the river from my apartment and I could see a steady stream of slush and a couple of hillbillies standing the in the water. If they were going to wait for the slush to burn off, I hoped they layered a ton of long underwear and wool socks. Because they would be waiting for a very long time.


I knew from experience that slush usually burns off by afternoon if the conditions are right. Both days the slush was heavy and in some spots you couldn't drop a bowling bowl through it. For some, this is the end of the season as they dream of spring time weather. For the diehards, it's an another day to go fishing. The cold often chases the majority of people off the rivers and those living too far away won't make the drive. The end result is I can pick and choose were to fish and in most cases I won't have to share with anybody. That was the case on both days as I was able to find spots. The conditions were challenging to say the least - temps in the 20s, biting wind, guides freezing up and ice forming on the float and line. I knew I wasn't going to hit double digits and I would be lucky to catch a couple of fish. Some of the best water was locked up in ice and I would be fishing marginal water. But I'm always up to the challenge and both days I had to really work hard to catch a couple.

I'm starting to run low on eggs and being the egg whore I am, I would really hope that Santa stuffs my stocking full of eggs..............

3 comments:

Trotsky said...

Now that would be a weird Christmas miracle..Santa stuffing your stocking with eggs.

lambton said...

We got shutdown Sunday over our way by the slush machiene.
I hate Alberta! F*ck them and their clippers!

Greg Lum said...

We drank a lot of whiskey and pee'd in the water to help burn off the slush, it didn't work.......