December 14, 2008

Dick Godard Sucks



I want to kick Dick Godard in the balls. Dick Godard is Fox's channel 8 weather dinosaur and basically made my weekend miserable in regards to the weather. With the crappy conditions I had to contend with last weekend, I was looking forward to making up for that debacle. Fortunately, the fishing gods took pity on me and blessed me with some fish. Earlier in the week the weather outlook for the upcoming weekend was calling for a chilly Saturday morning followed by temps in the upper 30s with bright skies. For Sunday, there was a 30% chance of rain. But, but and that's a big but, because every angler knows how accurate the weather reporting can be.


 Saturday morning, I drove east only to see the river clogged with slush. It wasn't those small annoying blobs, it was more like those blobs that could devour a steelheader. I rolled the dice as I knew the night time temps were to be in the 20s, but I figured the river would be slush free due to the blowout and warmer temps earlier in the week. With the sun, I thought the slush would burn off by noon......wrong. I made the best of a bad situation and tried fish through it. I re-rigged with my slush buster set-up. I stacked all of my shots low and I had to drop shot it between chunks. The shots would enable me to get everything down quick before a blob devoured my float. I managed to catch some nice size fish including one large male that ripped through several slush chunks with relative ease. The temperature barely made it out of the 20s and the wind made it felt even colder. I looked at the time and it was almost 12:00P.M. It was time for plan B and headed to another river even though I knew it was higher and off color. I arrived to see there was no slush, but the water was dirty. By now it was almost 1:00P.M and it still felt cold. I figured there was no way the slush would burn off. The fishing sucked and I decided to give it a try again tomorrow. On the way home, I listened to radio and the temperature was 29F and this was 2:00P.M. Later I found out the slush in fact did burn off around 2:00P.M and the fish turned on.........d'oh.


Sunday it was back for another kick at the can. Instead of cold it was much warmer albeit very windy. I arrived to see the river was very low and had a nice color, that meant sleath mode. I knew the river well enough that I could find fish easily when most people unfamiliar would walk by. Luck for me I tied very small sacs the night before. I plugged away at various spots working along the shale ledges, pocket water and any dark water. My efforts paid off with some beautiful fish in their winter colors. The crowds were small and it wasn't hard finding a spot. Then around 9:00A.M it started to rain, I figured it was a passing shower, because Dick said there was a 30% chance. As the morning progressed the rain never let up and the wind literally soaked me.


When ever a river is low and clear, I start on one my "death marches" I started to cover a lot of water, because fishable water was few and far between. The phone was on stand by and I got the scoop where the action was. As expected the morning bite shut off and I moved down river. With all of the walking sooner or later I would hit the motherload of fish. Well, I found them and some. It was a classic wintering spot - a moderately deep run that spilled into a large tailout. That with some brown trout eggs made for some excellent fishing including one large bull that came in a hefty 10 pounds. That 30% chance turned out to be 100% as it was still raining when I decided to go home at 3:30P.M. as my hands were pruned beyond belief.

With Christmas coming around I should give Dick a break, because I don't want coal in my stocking as I wanted some eggs. But that doesn't matter anymore as Christmas came early, I was able to score some eggs this weekend.............nice

No comments: