November 27, 2008

Gobble, Gooble

 
Couldn't ask for a nicer day to go fishing than on Thanksgiving. It was especially nice that most of the steelheaders couldn't weasel their way into a day of fishing - I guess the mother-in-laws had a long to-do-list or wanted to spend time with their favorite son-in-law...snort. I knew today would be better than "Black Friday" the day that ushers in the Christmas shopping season after turkey day. The wives will be out blowing cash and the hubbies will race down to the river to squeeze into available water. I'll be in bed sleeping in, but I must call in at 10:00A.M to see if there any need for extra help at work- fat fucking chance.



Due the warmer temperatures most of the snow melted and the streams came up. I knew of several that would be borderline and I was the guinea pig for several others hoping to wet a line for tomorrow. I received the calls early in the morning and gave the thumbs up and resumed fishing. The morning crowd showed up and frantically fished before the dreaded calls came in. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. By noon, I had the river to myself and I enjoyed it as much as possible. It's rare to enjoy solitude on some of Steelhead Alley's streams at the high of the fall run.

Fishing was tough as the water was high, stained and colder than a witches tittie. But I found several players, including one hog that wouldn't budge from the tailout. But I managed to screw that up as I took my time and the fish got fed up and turned and burned into the chute - snap. It was mostly fresh fish hanging out at the tailouts that hit quarter sized sacs in pink or chartreuse. After exhausting my supply of bait, I went for a drive to see the longest covered bridge in the U.S . I heard all of the hub-bub when it first opened for the general public to see. It's pretty high up almost a 100' and I doubt the Amish will fish from it unlike another covered bridge in the same county. 

5 comments:

Trotsky said...

Nice fish and Happy Thanksgiving.

lambton said...

Nice fish and get rid of that pink pin! Happy Thanksgiving.

Greg Lum said...

I can't get rid of that pink pin! I'm too flamboyant! I might have a hire a gay guy to help me shop for waders and thermal underwear.......

lambton said...

Hire Trotsky! He needs a job!

Trotsky said...

Nice..