June 1, 2008

More Mocking of the Leafs



Went the movies last week and sat through the endless commercials and trailers. Then came on the trailer for Mike Myer's latest movie - The Love Guru. He plays the role of a Hindu guru hired to help the Leafs win the Stanley Cup. I shake my head and think - only in Hollywood.

Myers is a diehard Leafs fan and has hinted that he wanted his favorite team in one of his movies. His favorite sidekick - Mini Me is back and looks and acts like a miniature version of Punch Imlach. The star player I guess is a black Darcy Tucker? Justin Timberlake is also in the film and goes by the name of Jacques "Le Cog" Grande. The audience is mostly unresponsive after the trailer is played. I groaned at the thought of the movie goofing my favorite team. I could hear my old man snickering in a theater at the thought of the Buds in the Stanley Cup finals. In his words - if the Leafs are in a movie, it must be a bad comedy.

I read that some Hindu groups are upset at the gross stereotypes portrayed in the movie. I say grow some thick skin. As a long suffering Leafs fans have had to put up with 40 years of lousy teams, Harold Ballard, Gretzky's high stick, Doug Gilmour being traded and Bryan McCabe imitating a pylon. I'll save my money and wait for this turkey to go on DVD.

No comments: