Tis the season


Tis the season and after my vacation week, I see on the bulletin board that Doug is no longer with the company. Two weeks ago, Lennie retired. Mike is out from hernia surgery. Greg took a leave of absence and who the hell knows when he'll be back. I feel a pat on the back from the manager asking if I'm well rested.......Well, we all know where this is going. I have to take over Doug's accounts until they hire a new guy. The other thing I found out later was I have to work every other Saturday. During the winter months, I don't work weekends and I made it clear from the get go. You don't screw with my fishing time. I wasn't too happy as I hate working Saturdays and told them "start cranking out help wanted ads".

On the fishing front, chalk up another useless weather forecast. The weather channel was calling for a winter advisory for Sunday morning. It was suppose to be freezing rain and sleet. I woke up early in the morning and peeked out the window to see the street was dry. I drove to the Chagrin and it was running perfect. There wasn't supposed to be any rain until this evening. I kicked off the winter steelheading season looking for some fresh fish that came in with the last high water. It turned out to be a slow morning at the office. It was several fish here and there and I had to work over the pools. There must been a run of pygmy steelhead as I caught five of the smallest steelhead I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately the batteries in my camera died. I caught one buck that was 14” long in full winter colors and he had a kype jaw and humped back.

Then the day came to an end when the Gates Mill church clock started chiming in the distance and ten minutes later the skies opened and dumped a shitload of rain. I left the rain jacket at home thinking I didn’t need it. To make a long story short, I got soaked on the way back. It rained all the way back to North Olmsted. Once again, the Grand was coming down to fishable levels and the runoff shot it right back up. I was going to call off with the 24 hour flu. There is more rain for the upcoming week and this is the 3rd week in a row that the Grand won't be fishable.

No comments: